The Adega Machado opened in 1937. It was the second fado house to open in Bairro Alto, but the first to present daily show. The iconographic meaning of the exterior decoration in tiles (now protected municipal heritage), the photographic records added over the decades and the incorporated works of art, have impressed museum value that transmits much of the experiences in this establishment, among owners, artists and visitors. Entering Adega Machado today and peeking through what may be called “windows of the past” allows us to travel through the history of fado itself, with the presence of Diva do Fado, Amália Rodrigues, and the Marceneiro generations being very prominent. Ti Alfredo. Fado & Food Group Management took over the responsibility of this authentic monument in 2011, the year when the deep refurbishment that led to the reopening began in June 2012.
Keep Singing Secrets
Café Luso, founded in 1927 and still active, is the oldest fado house in Lisbon. In the genesis of this specific type of room, Fado is served with food and drink. The concept has evolved, food has become equally central. Nowadays this and other fado houses rival the best restaurants in the capital. Between the 40’s and 60’s of the twentieth century, Café Luso was celebrated for holding contests that catapulted many voices and instrumentalists. The result was the principle that the successive casts of Café Luso are characterized by being intergenerational, encouraging sharing and ensuring testimony. It is a “school” and platform of opportunity for many talents. The list of names debuted here could be said to be exhaustive. Two important examples: the debut of Tony de Matos in 1948 and that of Fernando Maurício in 1954.
Fado, Tradition without Translation
Clube de Fado
The eighteenth century building where it is inscribed, near the Lisbon Cathedral, Alfama
It has become a perfect fado scene. An old stable and olive oil store gave way to one of the most exquisite fado houses in Lisbon, the Fado Club, founded in 1995 by renowned guitarist and composer Mário Pacheco. The solid architecture is confirmed by the columns and the pointed arches. A well moiro inside yields charms. The Fado Club strives for the excellence of the fado environment that admits no disturbing factor. The vocation of this house of fado is therefore, from the ground up, ambitious, and this is mirrored in the caliber of the cast of resident artists: Maria Ana Bobone, Rodrigo Costa Felix, Sandra Correia, Maria Emilia, Cristina Madeira, Lina, Carlos Leitão and Miguel. Hood. Portuguese guitar, Ângelo Freire, Fado guitar, Flávio Cardoso.
The 1961 fado house Timpanas, located in a main artery of the Alcântara district, was named after the soundtrack “A Severa”, taken to celluloid exactly thirty years earlier, 1931. It was conceived in another era of Fado glow, fifteen years ago. After the Forjaz Family had a dream come true in 1976, the partners Armando Fernandes and João Ribeiro February ensured continuity by taking the reins for the next forty years. Today, the Timpanas has become a beacon that lights up each night to transport us to Fado, when others that existed in this neighborhood went out (next door, A Cesária, closed in 1988; the story that sang there for the last time the mythical Maria Cesaria, in 1877). Timpanas, keeping true to its origins, knew how to adapt to new audiences. Of national consumption temple has become sought after worldwide, and even today is also respected among the middle people. As an example, periodically, since 2004, the sessions of the cultural association “The Patriarch of Fado” have been held here, which attests to the strong connection of the Clan Marceneiro clan with this House. To date, homage has been paid to various figures of Fado, with Alfredo. Joiner to the head, of course, and others; we quote Ada de Castro and Prof. Joel Pina
Night transports to Fado